Featured Post

Sunday, August 19, 2012

the big issue

The more I think about it, the main thing that bothers me about America-- that takes away from its first-world status-- is our utter inability to undertake meaningful action on climate change.  We have one major political party that is in complete wilfull denial on the subject, and the other is too cowed to even bring it up.  People may talk about 'clean energy,' but they never say why we need clean energy-- to bring down greenhouse-gas emissions.  It's shameful that this subject isn't even being discussed during this election season.

The two main people-- nonscientists-- that I look to on this subject are Bill McKibben and Naomi Klein.  I think I posted a link to McKibben's most recent article in Rolling Stone.  Klein's cover article in The Nation, "Capitalism vs. the Climate," http://www.thenation.com/article/164497/capitalism-vs-climate is quite insightful, and I understand she's working on a book on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment